If you have received an error similar to "Domain example.com has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour (5/5 (100%)) allowed" this means your account has been restricted from sending any more emails.
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
Domain example.com has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour (5/5 (100%)) allowed. Message discarded.
To help combat spam, we monitor the amount of emails that each account sends out which reuslts in bounce backs. If the server detects that 10% of the emails being sent out are resulting in defers or failures (bounce backs), the server will prevent that account from sending any further emails for up to an hour.
This will generally occur under the following circumstances;
- You are sending out mass emails and some addresses in your mailing list are invalid
- Your account or email client is compromised and is being used to send out spam
What should you do to prevent/fix this?
If you are sending mass mail
This means one of your email subscribers are no longer using the email address they subscribed with, you will need to clean up your mailing list and remove any non-existing or inactive addresses from your list.
- Log into cPanel
- Click on the Email Trace (X3 theme) Track Delivery (paper_lantern theme) icon
- Leave the Recipient Mail field blank and Click [Run Report]
- Information about all the emails sent out from your account will be displayed. Use the information provided to determine which email addresses you should stop sending emails out to and remove them from your mailing lists
If you are NOT sending out mass emails
Your account may be compromised, don't panic! Follow the above steps to see what emails were sent out from your account recently. If you don't recoginise the email address in the Email Trace report you should update the password for the email account which is sending out those emails.
If the problem continues, please contact us for further assistance.